1 c butter, softened (2 sticks)
6 oz cream cheese, softened
2 c sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract ( i used 1/2 tsp vanilla and 1/2 tsp coconut extract
2 1/4 c cake flour
1/4 c coconut milk or cream of coconut ( optional )
FROSTING - I DOUBLE THIS
1/4 c butter,softened
4 oz cream cheese, softened
1/2 tsp vanilla or coconut extract is good as well
1 1/2 c confectioners' sugar
1/2 c coconut- for toasting and sprinkling on top of the frosting
Note: can add a few tablespoons milk, cream or coconut milk ( i don't , as i like a thick frosting on the cake )
THIS CAKE IS DENSE & IS NOT MISSING BAKING POWDER OR SODA...THE EGGS ARE THE LEAVENING AGENT
1. Preheat oven to 350 degree F. Prepare a 9 x 13 pan with non stick cooking spray.
2. Cream together butter, cream cheese and sugar.
3. Beat in eggs one at a time, vanilla and then mix in flour.
4. Spread batter into prepared pan. Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until wooden pick comes out clean. As this cake cools, it will fall...that's normal...so don't be alarmed...it should be the thickness of a sheet cake...it will not be thick like a regular cake...:) Cool on cooling rack
5. Frosting: Beat together butter, cheese, vanilla and add sugar. Mix until well blended.
6. You can now toast coconut. I toast mine in a lighty sprayed skillet and keep tossing until golden. You can also place coconut on a baking sheet and toast in oven, turning frequently so not to burn.
7. I then gently remove the cake from the pan; and cut the cooled cake into 24 squares, and top with frosting and coconut. You can leave cake in pan and frost. I did it my way for presentation... Enjoy!