I liked this a lot. Jim, not so much, but he's not an okra fan anyway. I didn't have any dry mango powder (whatever that may be), and I used olive oil cause that's what I have. It was really delicious. I think that it would make an excellent vegetarian meal with rice.
- 1/2 kg fresh okra tops and tails cut off and diced into 1" pieces
- 2 tsps vegetable/canola/sunflower cooking oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 large onion sliced thin
- 2 green chillies chopped fine (I used a banana pepper)
- 6 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp dry mango powder
- 2 large tomatoes cut into small cubes
- Salt to taste
- Heat the oil in a wide pan on a medium flame and add the cumin seeds. Fry till they stop sizzling.
- Add the onion, green chilli and garlic and fry till the onions turn light brown.
- Add the okra and mix well.
- Add the coriander and dry mango powders and mix again. Season to taste. Fry for 5-7 minutes.
- Add the tomato and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Serve immediately with hot chapatis (Indian flatbread) or parathas (pan-fried Indian flatbread).