I made this tonight, and we really liked it. I used low fat coconut milk- only about 1/2 cup and added water. I also added another tbl of vinegar at the end of cooking. I made a cilantro, green onion, serrano chile, and lime relish to go with it. This is delicious, qnd I will make it again.
Chicken - 1 lb (cut into chunks)
Potatoes - 2 (cut into big chunks) - optional
Coconut milk - 1 cup
Salt - as needed
Oil - 1 tblsp
Fried Onions (Birista) - 1 cup
Vineger - 1 or 2 tsp
Ginger - 1.5 " piece
Garlic -6-8 cloves
Dry red Chillies - 5-8 (or use cayenne as needed)
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
Fenugreek seeds - 1/4 tsp
Corriander seeds - 1/2 tsp
Cinnamon stick - 1 small piece
Cloves - 3
1. You can use store bought fried onions for this recipe. If not, slice the onions and deep fry
in oil till it turns crispy and brown in color.
2. Grind together all the ingredients under 'to grind' adding water as needed to make a very
3. Mix this paste with the chicken and let it marinate for at least half an hour.
4. Heat oil in a pan and add the marinated chicken along with the masala (marinade).
5. Add the coconut milk, potatoes and required salt to this. Add more water if you want more gravy.
6. Cover and cook till the chicken is done and oil separates from the gravy.
7. The fried onions and the red chilis give a bright red color to the gravy. So it does not
need any garnishing. Serve with rice.