Saturday, June 01, 2013

Chicken Sukka


About a month ago, I finally got Jim to try the food at the new Indian restaurant in Turkey Creek, and he like it!  He didn't love it, but he ate it and enjoyed it--a first. So, I decided to try a few Indian recipes at home.  I don't know a thing about Indian cooking, but this seemed resonably easy.  I really liked it and so did Jim.  I would make it again. I wasn't sure what was meant by "Red Chile powder".  I used Ancho Chile powder, but after tasting the recipe, I think that plain old chili powder would work fine. I used whole, bone-in chicken thighs, but I rubbed the marinade under the skin, and cooked the chicken longer.  I served it with the stir-fried okra and basmati rice.

Ingredients
Chicken - 1 lb (1/2 kg)
Onion - 1/2 ( diced in medium sized pieces)
Cayenne - 1 tsp
Black Pepper powder - 1 tsp
Coriander/dhania powder - 2 tsp
Turmeric powder - ¼ tsp
Garam masala powder -¼ tsp
Yogurt(curd) -2 tsp
Ginger garlic paste -1 tsp
Salt - to taste
Oil - 2 tsp
Coriander leaves - (for garnishing)   
  
Method 
1. Wash and cut chicken in small pieces.
2. Take a bowl mix chilly powder, pepper powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, salt, garam masala, ginger garlic paste, yogurt and form a paste. Add the chicken pieces to this and rub at the masala on the chicken. Let this marinate for at least an hour in the refrigerator.
3. Now heat oil in a kadai and saute the chicken. Cover and cook it for 7 minutes or until it is thoroughly cooked.
4.Open the lid and fry on medium high flame for about 6 minutes or until all the water evaporates.
5. Add onions and fry for 2 more minutes.
6. Garnish with coriander leaves, split chillies and lemon or tomato slices .

Tips
- This can be served with biriyani, curd rice, chapatti.
- The juice of one lemon can be poured on top to enhance flavour.

No comments:

Post a Comment