I first ate this in Yucatan at our neighbor's house. Dona Ela had an enormous glass crock filled with this beautiful and delicious relish. I found a recipe on Gourmet and adapted it, so that it was easier. This is delicious on tostadas or tacos, especially fish tacos, or you can eat it like a salad . Adapt this to your taste buds by altering the proportion of acid to oil, and the number and type of chiles. I made this with Habanero chile and it was very good, but too spicy for many people.
- 1 pkg cole slaw mix with carrots
- 1.2 large red onion, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 to 2 fresh jalapeños, stemmed, seeded, and minced
- 2 Turkish bay leaves or 1 California
- 1/2 cup red-wine vinegar
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- juice of 1-2 limes
- 1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- juice of one orange
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
Mix all together and let stand at least 1 hour. Taste and correct seasoning.