Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Farfalle with Butternut Squash

I am embarrassed to admit that I have never cooked with butternut squash before. I'm not sure why. I guess my mom never cooked with it, so I just hadn't tried. Also, there don't seem to be lots of recipes for it. Anyway, I bought one the other day, and here's what I did with it. I thought that it was delicious.

1 tbl extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup pancetta cubed
1/2 purple onion,chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped fine
1 carrot, chopped fine
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 butternut squashed, diced
3-4 sliced prosciutto, diced (You can substitute a nice, flavorful ham.)
1 can chicken stock (1 1/2 cups)
1/2 cup or more of water
2-3 stalks of thyme
salt & black pepper to taste
1-1 1/2 cups farfalle (bowties)
1/2 cup grated Parmigiano reggiano or to taste.
Juice of 1/2 lemon

Saute pancetta in oil til golden.  Add onion, celery, carrots, a pinch of salt and saute 4-5 minutes.  Add garlic,prosciutto, and squash and saute a couple of minutes more. Add chicken stock,and thyme.Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally, and cook until squash is almost tender.
 Add water and pasta. Add more water if there's not enough to almost cover pasta. Return to the boil and clamp on a lid and cook, stirring frequently. When the pasta is tender, remove the thyme stalk, salt and pepper to taste, and stir in Parmigiano Reggiano and lemon juice. Serve immediately with more Parmigiano.

No comments:

Post a Comment