Monday, November 15, 2010

Baked Spareribs and Sauerkraut

My sister-in-law, Kate, came to visit this weekend. She is a very busy career woman who doesn't cook, so I love to spoil her when she's here.  She mentioned that her mom used to make this dish and that she loved it.  We found the recipe in her mom's Joy of Cooking, I added a few twists of my own, and we had a fantastic meal--perfect for yesterday's gray, rainy, cold weather. I served this with mashed potatoes.

If you don't have spareribs which are kind of expensive, I would use country style ribs (blade end pork chops). I added some brats because I had them in the freezer, you could omit them, add more, or add kielbasa.

Serves 6

Preheat oven to 325 or 280
2 slices bacon-optional
1 slab pork spareribs, sliced into individual ribs
3 smoked bratwurst or kielbasa. (Optional)
4 cans Silver Floss Bavarian style Sauerkraut, drained well
1 onion, sliced-optional
salt, pepper, garlic powder
1-4 tbl brown sugar

 Spray a large roasting pan with Pam. Add the sauerkraut, onion, bacon, and sugar, and mix well. Salt, pepper, and put a little garlic powder on the spare ribs. Add the spareribs and sausages to the casserole, cover, and bake 2 hours at 325 or 3 1/2-4 hours at 280. Raise heat to 325 and Uncover and bake another 30-45 minutes or until brown.

To do this in a crock pot, brown the meats first. Then, place all in the crock pot and cook on low 6 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment