Tuesday, September 21, 2010

ALMOND TORTE

I am so fortunate to have friends who are not only wonderful cooks, but generous as well.  Friday afternoon I stopped by the grocery and bought lamb chops to grill. I felt like having company so I bought as many as Butler and Bailey had.  When I got home, I called my friend, Connie, who offered to bring potatoes.  Then I called my friend Kathleen who said that she had made an almond torte that day that she would bring for dessert.  Et voila! a fabulous, easy dinner party with friends.  Kathleen's torte was fantastic! It was an elegant and delicious end to our meal.  She also has generously shared the recipe.


Preheat oven to 350
Line a 9" iron skillet with Release aluminum foil and spray with Pam. Let foil extend over sides.

Mix together with an electric mixer:
¾ cup butter (do not substitute)
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar

Beat in two eggs, one at a time.

Add 2 teaspoons almond extract

Then mix in a pinch of salt and 1 and ½ cups flour.
Mix well.  Batter will be slightly stiff.

Pour into the iron skillet that has been lined with aluminum foil and sprayed with Pam.

Sprinkle sliced almonds (not slivered) on top or make any design you wish on top and
   then sprinkle about 1 and ½ tablespoons sugar evenly over the top.

Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes (until golden brown).

Let cool completely in pan.  Lift carefully by foil out of pan, peel off foil and place on serving plate.

No comments:

Post a Comment