Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Scallopini Bolognese


I saw this on Lidia's Italy the other day and thought it sounded delicious. I didn't get a recipe, but if it came out half as good as Lidia's I'm happy. I made it the other night, and I thought that the taste was phenomenal! My only (slight) problem was that the veal wasn't as tender as I would have liked. Next time I will pound it thinner. I served this with a delicious pasta in tomato cream sauce and spinach.  It was an extraordinary, company worthy meal. Please be sure to use good prosciutto and REAL Parmigiano Reggiano. They are the stars of this dish, and if they are inferior, it will not be good.

I made this again last night, and this time I pounded the veal a little. That made all the difference in the final dish. The veal was very tender.  I also omitted the egg wash and simply floured the veal. I thought that it was just as good and much simpler to prepare. I also prepared this and  held it about an hour before baking it in the oven--still delicious.

Serves 2-3


1/2 Pound veal scallopini
1/2 pound prosciutto, sliced thin, (but not paper thin)
 parmigiano reggiano-enough to shave over the entire casserole
1/3 cup Marsala
1/3 cup dry white wine
1/3 cup chicken stock
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 egg
3-4 tbl butter
2-4 tbl cooking oil

salt & black pepper


Put flour, seasoned with a pinch of salt & pepper into a pan (I use a pie plate).
Beat egg in another pie plate.
Pat veal dry with paper towels. Dredge veal in flour, egg, and flour again. Place on a plate until all are done.
In a large non-stick skillet heat 3 tbl of butter with 1 tbl cooking oil over moderately high heat.
Brown veal in batches in butter and oil. Removing it to an oven-proof dish as soon as it is brown. Add more butter and oil if you need to.
Add slices of prosciutto to pan and saute for a minute.
Deglaze with marsala, white wine and chicken stock.  Cook down until it begins to thicken
Pour sauce and prosciutto over veal.
Top with parmigiano reggiano shavings (You can use a vegetable peeler for this.
Bake uncovered at 400 for 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and everything is bubbling.

2 comments:

  1. I make a similar dish, but I layer the veal with procuitto, spinach and fontina cheese. I use marsala and chicken stock and skip the white wine. Really yummy. Ken likes it over egg noodles. I also do the whole dish on the stove, but finishing in the oven is a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to make a recipe for veal saltimbocca like that. Is that the one?

    ReplyDelete