Monday, July 26, 2010

Pancakes

I made these this morning for Patrick, and I realized that I've never posted the recipe. I'm afraid that I have no precise measurements, but pancakes are very forgiving, so don't be worried.  Also, I'm not a big advocate of electric appliances, but I love to use an electric griddle for pancakes.  It provides a large surface and regulates the heat perfectly.  If you don't have one, just use your largest skillet (preferably nonstick).

For 3-4 people

1 cup flour (I like White Lily)
1/4 tsp salt
1 heaping teaspoon baking powder (I use a real teaspoon for this, not a measuring spoon)
1 tbl (more or less) butter, melted
1 egg, beaten slightly
3/4-1 cup milk (If you want to use buttermilk, you can add 1/4 tsp baking soda)

Crisco or vegetable oil for frying

Put your plates in a warm oven.

With a fork, mix the flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda, if you're using it, in a mixing bowl.  Melt the butter in the microwave.  Warm the milk to room temperature in the microwave.  Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients and add the egg, butter, and 3/4 cup of milk. Mix with a fork.  If it seems too dry, add
the remaining 1/4 cup of milk. DO NOT overbeat. It should look lumpy!

Arm yourself with a spatula, ladle or large spoon, a wad of paper towels, and a plate to put all this mess on.
Put the can of Crisco by the side and heat your skillet or griddle. I usually start by setting my griddle to 350 and then adjust up or down from there. Get some Crisco on that wad of paper towels and run it all over your griddle. Now, to test if your griddle is hot enough, throw a few drops of water on it.  They should dance over the griddle.  If they just sit there, it's not hot enough. If they vaporize, it's too hot. When your griddle is ready, ladle out  dollops of batter onto the griddle, making sure to keep them pretty far apart--you want room to turn them.  When the edges begin to set, and the bubbles start to break, it's time to turn.  The whole process will only take a couple of minutes. Place on a heated plate.  Repeat. You can keep unused batter in the fridge for a couple of days.



The boys like these with maple syrup, but I love them with strawberry preserves.

7 comments:

  1. Quick, easy Sunday night meal. Followed the recipe exactly and the pancakes were perfect. Defrosted some garden strawberries and made a quick sauce to drizzle on top.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah,
    I'm so glad that you enjoyed the pancakes. What a great idea to serve them with fresh strawberries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummo and easy to "dress up" with cinnamon and pecans this am...Peanut butter and use homemade jam for topping...it's endless really...so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I make this recipe almost every weekend. Absolute the best pankcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great easy recipe. Left out the baking soda, I didn't have any!, but didn't seem to make any real difference. The kids ate all of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These were a bit thinner than what I like in a pancake. But they were very easy and used everything I had on hand, so they definitely hit the spot on a Saturday morning!

    ReplyDelete
  7. For a thicker pancake, just reduce the milk a little.

    ReplyDelete