Sunday, July 25, 2010

Blueberry Crunch (Based on Joy of Cooking's Cherry Crunch)

You've probably noticed the dearth of postings lately, and that's because my kitchen is completely torn up. I have no counter tops, no kitchen sink, no cook top, and no built-in microwave. Thank goodness, I still have one oven, the dishwasher, and a small microwave. We are remodeling, and my current kitchen is the laundry room. I'm not cooking very much, but the other day, I realized that I had two containers of blueberries that were going to go bad if I didn't do something with them. Turning to Joy of Cooking for an easy recipe, I found one for Cherry Crunch that uses canned cherries. It sounded easy, so I adapted it to the fresh blueberries. It's fantastic! Serve it warm with vanilla ice cream, and you have a company-worthy dessert.

One 9-inch square
Spray a 9-inch square pan with Pam. Preheat oven to 350°F.
 
Using your microwave, melt in a large bowl:
  1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
Mix with:
  1 to 1 1⁄2 cups packed brown sugar
  1 cup all-purpose flour
  1 cup quick-cooking or Old Fashioned Quaker Oats oatmeal
  1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
  1⁄4 teaspoon salt
  1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda

Put half of this mixture into the baking pan. Scatter over it:
  2 cups fresh blueberries
Sprinkle them with
  juice of 1/2 a lemon.
Cover the fruit with the other half of the pastry mixture. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until brown.

2 comments:

  1. Ellen Beebe11:42 AM

    Kathy, do you think regular oatmeal will substitute?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I used Old Fashioned Quaker Oats,and it worked great. I don't like the Quick Oats. They taste like wallpaper paste.

    ReplyDelete