Thursday, June 17, 2010

Paella from The Frugal Gourmet Cooks with Wine

I think that my sister recommended this recipe to me. It's not an authentic Spanish paella, but it's darn good. I've changed it a little over time, and I definitely do not use all the seafood the recipe calls for.  I often make it just with shrimp because they're readily available, and I like them. You could use chunks of fish or whatever mild seafood that looks good. Also, I usually use a cut up chicken, but if you only like white meat, use only chicken breasts.  Make sure you use Spanish chorizo, not Mexican. The Spanish sausage is dried and keeps a really long time.  Mexican chorizo is fresh and completely changes the dish. If you can't find Spanish chorizo, you can substitute smoked paprika.

If you are doing this for a party, you can do everything up to adding the stock in advance.

Serves 6-8

1/2 cup olive oil
2 lbs chicken parts
2 small Spanish chorizos, cut into rounds
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1/4 pound smoked ham, diced
2 ripe tomatoes, diced (or 1 can of diced tomatoes)
2 cups Uncle Ben's converted rice
3 cups chicken stock
big pinch of saffron
1 tablespoon paprika (smoked if you can't find chorizo)
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp thyme
salt & pepper to taste
1 box frozen peas
2 red sweet bell peppers, cut into rings or strips
1 10 oz box frozen artichoke hearts, defrosted

1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 1/2 pounds clams, in the shell, rinsed (discard any clams that aren't closed or won't close when tapped.)
1 cup dry white wine

Heat a large frying pan. Add 1/4 cup of the oil and brown the chicken. Remove from pan.  Add the onions, garlic, ham, chorizo saute until the onions are translucent. Add the tomatoes and saute for 5 minutes. Remove from pan.

Add remaining oil and add the rice, stirring until the rice begins to brown.

Meanwhile, heat the stock with the saffron, paprika, red pepper flakes, thyme, salt, & black pepper. Bring to a boil.

If your frying pan isn't very large, transfer everything to a large Dutch oven, otherwise put everything into the frying pan and place the chicken on top. Add the defrosted artichoke hearts and arrange the red pepper slices on top. Add the wine and the stock. Cover and cook 20 minutes. Uncover & add shrimp, clams, and peas and cover. Cook another 5-10 minutes or until the shrimp are done and the clams have opened.  Discard any clams that don't open.

1 comment:

  1. Kathy, I too have modified this recipe. I don't use the artichokes. I do use mussels and clams. I use chicken stock and no wine. Plus, I start it on the stove and then I finish the paella on the grill. I just put the whole pan on the grill at 350. It give it a great smokey flavor. Also, the edges of the rice get sort of crispy. They cook it on the grill (over open fire) in Spain and I think it replicates the flavor really well on the grill.

    ReplyDelete