Saturday, April 17, 2010

Mimoi's Applesauce Cake

This recipe came from my mother's mother, Flora Irene Riley Jordan.  She taught me to make pie crust, dumplings, fried pies, and so many other old fashioned, Southern dishes. She was the second to the youngest of 8 children, born in Oak Grove (now Birmingham), Alabama, in 1908.  Her daddy owned a dairy, but died when she was very young. She was always frugal and hated to waste anything.  Her oldest son, Jimmy, had an old crab apple tree in his yard, and every year he would pick all those little apples up and bring them to her in paper sacks.  Mimoi would peel and slice all those apples and make homemade applesauce.  She would use that applesauce to make this cake.  It's like a fruitcake in texture--very dense and rich.  It keeps a long time. 
Aunt Ellen posted this comment: I think Mimoi also would soak cheesecloth in Bourbon and wrap this cake in it, like she did fruit cake. It kept it delicious and moist.
 
Preheat oven to 275

Grease and flour 2 loaf pans.  (I like to line them with Release Aluminum foil. Just place 1 sheet in the pan so that the 2 long sides & the bottom are covered with the foil. 

2 1/2 cups unsweetened applesauce
2 cups brown sugar
1 cup butter
4 cups flour
3 tsp soda
1 cup chopped pecans
1 lb. raisins
pinch salt
1 tsp each, cloves and cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla

Cook applesauce, sugar and butter until butter is melted.  Sift together flour,soda,salt,cinnamon, and cloves. Add nuts and raisins to dry ingredients.  Add butter mixture, stirring to combine.  Pour into prepared loaf pans.
Bake 2 1/2 hours.

2 comments:

  1. Kathy, I remember peeling those apples with Mimoi. I also remember her telling me I was taking to much of the apple off with the peel and to not waste so much. To this day, I think about that when I peel apples!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy, One other thing, I think Mimoi also would soak cheesecloth in Bourbon and wrap this cake in it, like she did fruit cake. It kept it delicious and moist. When I come up in a couple of weeks, we should make some of these old recipes.

    ReplyDelete