Saturday, April 17, 2010

Big Mama's Raisin Spice Cake

Another recipe from my father's mother.  I've never made this. It's from my mom's recipe box; however, if Big Mama made it, it is sure to be good. 

Preheat oven to 350

Grease and flour a loaf pan.  I like to line it with Release Aluminum foil also.

1 cup seedless raisins
2 cups hot water
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour (I like White Lily)
1 tsp soda
1 tsp each ground cloves, cinnamon, and nutmeg
1/2 cup chopped nuts

Simmer raisins in the water for 10 minutes.  Remove from heat.  Add shortening and stir until melted.  Cool to room temperature.  Sift together sugar, flour, soda, and spices.  Add nuts, stirring to mix.  Add all to the raisin mixture.  Pour into loaf pan and bake 35 - 40 minutes.  Let cool on rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment