Sunday, March 07, 2010

Frozen dumplings

Okay.  I pride myself on my homemade chicken and dumplings.  My grandmother who was the master of all pastry, taught me to make them. Making them takes me back in time to her kitchen in Birmingham. It didn't have a dishwasher, microwave oven, gas cooktop or granite countertops, but some of the best food that I've ever had came from it.  That being said, sometimes I don't want a walk down memory lane and the mess of homemade dumplings.  Sometimes, I just want dumplings--as quickly and easily as possible.  I have found, through my Aunt Nancy, a brand of frozen dumplings that are fantastic.  Perhaps they aren't quite as good as homemade, but they are very good. They're called Sally B's dumplings (check out their biscuits as well).  Today, I made a rich chicken stock with backs and wings and cooked a whole chicken in it.  I deboned the chicken, brought it back to the boil, and started adding frozen dumplings.  Thirty minutes later, after thickening the stock with a slurry made from 1/2 and 1/2 and flour, we were eating delicious chicken and dumplings.  I'm not kidding, they are really good.  Even my son Patrick was fooled. So if you've never made that icon of Southern cooking, chicken and dumplings, you can now.

2 comments:

  1. You're right. They really are as good as homemade - and so EASY. I'm glad I found them too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Molly B biscuits are great too.

    ReplyDelete