Friday, May 01, 2009
Seafood Sticky Rice Risotto
2 cups Japanese sushi rice
4 oz pancetta in 1/4 inch slices
8 oz large shrimp, shelled & deveined (or cooked lobster)
1 tbl extra virgin olive oil
2 tbl chopped shallots
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 cup chicken or fish stock
4 tbl grated parmesean or Asiago cheese
2 tsp chopped parsley
salt & black pepper to taste
1. Sock rice 2-3 hours in warm water. Drain & rinse in cold water.
2. Wrap rice in cheeseclot & place in steamer. Cover tightly and cook for 25 minutes; Unwrap & cool. Set aside in bowl.
3. Dice the pancetta into cubes. Cook until crisp. Set aside.
4. Steam shrimp in steamer for 8 minutes. Set aside.
5. Break rice up.
6. Heat a large, deep saute pan over medium high heat. Add the oil and saute the shallots. Add the rice, cream, and half the stock. Reduce the mixture, stirring occasionally. Keep adding stock until all the liquid is absorbed. Add the cheese and cook until creamy.
7. Turn off the heat, add the shrimp, pancetta, & parsley. Adjust seasonings and serve immediately.