Tuesday, April 14, 2009
Toasted Blue Cheese and Caramelized Onion Sandwiches
Makes 24 wedges
The caramelized onion jam can be prepared three days before you make the sandwiches.
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 2 large white onions, thinly sliced
* 2 tablespoons (packed) golden brown sugar
* 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
* 2 tablespoons chopped golden raisins
* 4 5 1/2x3x1/2-inch slices rustic country bread, such as walnut, pecan, or walnut-raisin
* 2 6-ounce wedges soft blue cheese (Bon Appetit calls for Cambazola or Gorgonzola dolcelatte. I like Maytag), sliced
Heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add onions; cook until just beginning to color, stirring often, about 20 minutes. Add sugar and cook until onions are deep golden brown and very soft, stirring occasionally, about 25 minutes. Remove from heat. Mix in vinegar and raisins. Season caramelized onions to taste with salt and pepper. Cool. (Can be made 3 days ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)
Toast both sides of bread slices. Arrange bread slices on jelly roll pan. Top each with 1/4 cup caramelized onions. Top with cheese, dividing equally. Put pan under broiler and broil until cheese is melted. Transfer to cutting board. Cut each sandwich into 6 wedges.