Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Banana Bread

I can't remember who I got this recipe from, but it is absolutely the best! Sweet and moist, full of banana flavor, you will love this banana bread. If you have ripe bananas, but no time to make this, throw the bananas in the freezer until you do have time. Take them out, defrost, and proceed.

I don't grease & flour my pans. I use Baker's Secret which saves time & mess.

I usually bake these in the miniature loaf pans and decrease the cooking time to 35-40 minutes. This also makes great banana cupcakes too. I'll decrease time 20-25 minutes. I think that these would be fantastic with cream cheese icing. I'll have to try it sometime.

The last time I made these, I prepared them entirely in the food processor. If you have one, it's super easy. Instructions follow.

1 1/2 C sugar
1/2 C shortening
2 eggs
1 1/2 C flour
1 tsp soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 C buttermilk
1 C chopped pecans or walnuts
3 mashed ripe bananas

For a mixer: cream sugar & shortening together. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each. Sift together dry ingredients and add them in thirds, alternating with buttermilk. Stir in vanilla, nuts, and bananas. Bake in a greased, floured loaf pan for 45 minutes to 1 hour @ 350. Cool in pan on rack 10 minutes and turn out on racks to cool completely. For cupcakes, line about 15 muffin tins with liners, fill 3/4 full and bake 25 minutes.

For the food processor: Chop nuts and remove to another bowl. Chop bananas and move to bowl with nuts. Cream sugar & shortening together. Add eggs one at a time, processing well after each. Sift together dry ingredients and add them in thirds, alternating with buttermilk. Add the mixture to bowl with nuts, and bananas and add vanilla. Stir all together. Bake in a greased, floured loaf pan for 45 minutes to 1 hour @ 350. Cool in pan on rack 10 minutes and turn out on racks to cool completely. For cupcakes, line about 15 muffin tins with liners, fill 3/4 full and bake 25 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment