Thursday, July 24, 2008

Summer Vegetable Medley

Summer vegetables are sooo delicious. If not for Jim and Phillip, who can't live without meat, I could make a meal of them. This was inspired by a recipe for peas with prosciutto that I really like. I used what I happened to have in the refrigerator, so don't limit yourself. Use what you like. I served this with pork chops that I had sauted in olive oil & then braised with white wine & fresh rosemary. I also served corn salad with basil.

2 tbl olive oil
1/4 cup pancetta or prosciutto, chopped
1/2 large onion, diced in fairly large pieces
handful of baby carrots
1 yellow squash, diced
1 zucchini, diced
1/2 C or so of frozen peas
handful of snow peas, cut in half
1/3 C chicken stock
handful of fresh mint, chopped
Salt & pepper

Saute pancetta or prosciutto in olive oil. Add onion, sprinkle of salt, and saute 1 minutes. Add carrots, sprinkle of salt, and saute 3-4 minutes. Add yellow squash & zucchini, another sprinkle of salt, & saute 2 more minutes. Add chicken stock, cover, and cook on med high until tender. Uncover and add peas & snow peas. Cook 1-2 minutes more. Add mint, taste and add pepper & more salt if needed.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:49 PM

    Proscuitto? Um. Not exactly going for the authentically Southern approah, I see.

    Le sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's "My Southern Cooking", and I cook a lot of Italian food. I think that good Southern and good Italian cooking both have the same approach--fresh, seasonal food prepared simply, but deliciously.

    ReplyDelete