Saturday, December 22, 2007

Beef Braciole

I got this recipe from Bon Appetit. It's from a restaurant in Charleston called the Oak Steakhouse.
This was absolutely fabulous. I changed it a little, because I thought there was too much liquid.
I also used only 2 Italian sausages rather than 4. I didn't think that the flank steak would roll up.

We ate this with a CASA SILVA QUINTA GENERACION 2003 (A reviewer said, "A Bordeaux blend — Chile style — with cabernet sauvignon, carmenere and petit verdot. Wild blackberry punctuated with pine and cedar on the nose. In the mouth it all comes together with dark fruits, wet forest, chocolate and expresso to go with a lingering finish.") which was delicious with it. I made pasta rather than polenta, but mashed potatoes would also be good.

Have the butcher butterfly the steak for you.

1 flank steak (about 1 1/2 pounds), butterflied
4 tbl olive oil, divided
1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
1 tbl chopped fresh oregano
1 tbl chopped fresh thyme (I used 1 tsp dried)
1 tbl chopped fresh sage ( I had a little fresh and added 1 tsp dried)
1 3 ounce pkg pancetta, thinly sliced
1/4 Cup golden raisins
4 whole sweet Italian sausages (I used 2)

3 Cups beef broth (I used about 1 cup)
1 750-ml bottle dry red wine (I used about 1/2 a bottle)
1 26 ounce bottle marinara sauce

Open flank steak and sprinkle with salt & pepper, and rub w/ 1 tbl olive oil, parsley, oregano, thyme, & sage. Arrange pancetta sliced atop herbs. Sprinkle with pine nuts and raisins. Arrange sausage down the center of the steak. (In the same direction as the grain of the meat.) Roll meat up and tie at 2 inch intervals. (Can be made ahead & refrigerated)

Preheat oven to 325. Heat remaining 3 tbl olive oil in a wide ovenproof pot. Add steak and brown all over, about 2-3 minutes per side. Add beef broth, wine, and marinara. Bring to a boil. Cover and bake in oven for 1 hour, 45 minutes. Remove meat and cover to keep warm.

Boil sauce in pot until reduced to 4 cups, about 15 minutes. (Since I used half the stock, it only took 5 minutes or so.) Slice braciole into 1 inch slices and arrange on platter. Top with some sauce. (Any leftover sauce is great on pasta.)




No comments:

Post a Comment