Sunday, January 07, 2007

Chicken with Tarragon

I got this recipe from my Sonoma Diet Cookbook, but it doesn't taste like diet food. I've made a few changes.

4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
salt, pepper
1 tbl olive oil

16 pearl onions, peeled (I used frozen. If you don't have these I would just quarter an onion.)
1 cup thinly sliced onion
8 cloves garlic, peeled (not chopped)
2 sprigs fresh thyme or 1/2 tsp dry
1 bay leaf
4 + 4 tbl sherry vinegar (I used tarragon vinegar, but I think that you could use balsamic also.)
1 tbl tomato paste
1 tbl Dijon mustard
1 1/2 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
2-3 tbl fresh tarragon, chopped (I used 1-2 tsp dry tarragon)
2 Cups hot cooked multigrain pasta (optional)

1. Season chicken w/ salt and pepper ad cook in olive oil for about 4 minutes a side.
Remove chicken from skillet.

2. Add the pearl onions, sliced onions, garlic cloves, thyme and bay leaf. Add 4 tbl vinegar. Place
chicken on top. Cover and cook over low heat for 5 minutes. Remove chicken and keep warm

3. Add 4 tbl vinegar; cook uncovered 3 minutes til reduced to syrupy consistency. Stir in the tomato paste and mustard. Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered about 10 minutes or until sauce has reduced and thickened. Stir in the tarragon and season with salt and pepper.

4. To serve, place chicken on platter. Spoon sauce and onions over. Serve with cooked pasta.

No comments:

Post a Comment