Monday, November 14, 2005

Mimoi's pecan pie

This is the best--my grandmother's recipe. Alaga syrup gives you that real old-timey Southern flavor. It wasn't available (Alaga stands for Alabama and Georgia) when I first started cooking, so I substituted a mixture of light and dark Karo. This is what my husband and sons like, so I still make it this way.

Preheat oven to 350

1-9" pie plate lined with pie crust

1 cup Alaga cane syrup or 1/2 Cup light Karo & 1/2 Cup dark Karo
3/4 cup white sugar
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 stick butter
1 Tbl vanilla extract
1 cup whole pecans

Bring syrup and sugar to a boil and boil for 3 minutes. Add hot syrup to beaten eggs, beating constantly. Add butter, let melt. Add vanilla and pecans. Pour into pie plate lined with pie crust. Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment